If you lose a few teeth, the most common response may be to think about dentures. Artificial dentures may seem quick and maybe even convenient; they are also the least costly option for teeth replacement. However, dentures must be relined or completely replaced every few years due to atrophying bone that supports the dentures. As a result, they might not always be the best teeth replacement solution for everyone and may even cost you more in the long run.
While dental implants may seem like a big investment, they can save you money and improve your comfort in the long run. Dental implants will function as close as possible to your original teeth for life, and you take care of them a similar way to natural teeth.
However, are dental implants really worth it? Read on to find out.
What Happens When You Lose a Tooth?
Losing the beauty of your smile is only the first in the cascade of consequences of losing a tooth. Some other serious repercussions that accompany are as follows: :
- Increased Risk of Oral Infection: Similar to how trees hold the ground together, teeth play a similar role in ensuring your gums remain strong and healthy. When you lose your teeth, the cavity left behind in the gums remains exposed. Food particles can easily get stuck in such spaces and may be difficult to brush out. Moreover, foreign particles can find a way into your bloodstream through the cavity left by the missing tooth.
- Asymmetrical Teeth Arrangement: Teeth are basically extensions of bones in our body that constantly compete with each other to occupy more space. So, if even one of your teeth is missing, the rest will align themselves to fill the cavity. This will cause your oral arrangement to look distorted and might result in severe dental problems. It is best to get any gaps filled as soon as possible to avoid asymmetrical teeth arrangement.
- Deteriorating Oral Health: Your teeth hold your jaw in place. If you lose your teeth, your jaw may collapse, affecting your gums and resulting in poor oral health.
Why Is It a Good Idea to Get Dental Implants?
If you have been wondering, should I get dental implants? here are a few reasons that may help you decide:
- They Are Cost-Effective: Once you get a dental implant, it can last decades with proper care. You don’t have to replace it every few years. Thus, the one-time expenses are worth it!
- They Can Help Prevent Oral Problems: As elaborated earlier, several oral issues can be avoided if dental implants are used to fill the gaps left by missing teeth.
- They Look Natural: Dental implants may be artificial, but you will not be able to tell the difference between them and your original teeth. They are designed to look, feel, and function like your natural teeth, boosting your confidence while you smile, eat, or speak.
- They Can Help Improve Your Facial Features: Dental implants protect your natural tooth tissue by avoiding the need to cut down adjacent teeth for conventional bridgework. They also help preserve your jawbone and significantly reduce bone resorption and deterioration.
- They Have a High Success Rate:Well-planned and carefully executed dental implants have higher success rates than traditional teeth replacement options. Also, patients in good health are ideal candidates for this procedure.
Schedule an Appointment with Smile Arizona Dentistry
Our team of dental care experts, led by Dr. Beth Vander Schaaf, can provide personalized dental implants to suit your needs. Whether you need a single tooth replacement or want to restore entire arches of decaying teeth, our high-quality dental implants can help you enjoy your life without worrying about your lost teeth. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.